Sunday, March 14, 2010

Adam's Birthday, Part One

Adam's birthday began with a bang! On the day before his big day we celebrated at his daycare, and I went to get helium balloons for his classmates. As I came out of the shop with the balloons, I couldn't find my keys. Long story short, I had locked them in the car (first time ever!). And it took me a while to figure this out, given the sound of the wind bopping the balloons around and the traffic on Main Street, but the car was in fact still running!

Luckily, my wonderful husband was just blocks away and was able to cancel a group of kids to come and rescue me!!! Before the car ran out of gas, or the balloons flew away, or I died of embarrassment! That deserves a few exclamation points!!!

I even made it back to church/daycare in time for lunch with the Birthday Boy.


Out of a basket of little toys and trinkets Adam chose this dum-dum as his birthday present!

The treats have to be store-bought, so we had chocolate covered graham crackers.

On the morning of his birthday, Adam and I stayed home (as we do on Fridays) and took it easy for a few hours. Adam is generally not the builder in the family, but he made this "giant robot" that morning.

His friend Luke came over in the morning, too, and they had a fine time, as usual, while I got the cake baked.

Our birthday outing began with a photo shoot at Penny's, and then Adam chose IHOP for his birthday lunch. He said, "I'm going to do the world search."


The left-handedness reappears (he had been doing the maze with his right).

I'm all done.

At home we got working on the requested rocket ship cake. Adam did sorting while I did icing and then decoration.


This looks like a cake for cousin Ada! The M got a bit squished. I asked Adam what color he wanted the letters, and what do you know, he wanted them basically the same as the icing. So it's a subtle touch.

From 3:30-5 Adam had his first ever friends party with kids from church and small group. It was a good time.

Birthday Part Two will involve family, and we're looking forward to that. And I am so glad I realized that it wouldn't work this weekend, as Saturday all day was filled with prep for Sunday, which went well and is now OVER! Hallelujah! Thanks to the grandparents for the birthday calls, and we look forward to seeing some family folks next weekend for more celebrating.

1 comment:

  1. Heidi---this is Jewel Yoder. I just got finish reading all of your posts! What a great blog you have! I was wondering if I have your permission to post a link to your blog onto my blog? So that way I will know whenever you post something new, to take a look. How are you feeling? How's the pregnancy going? I forget if it's May or July that you are due? I'm due June 24th & I remember you were a couple weeks away from me but can't remember which direction.

    ReplyDelete