Mitch's second birthday party phase was an evening of dancing at Newcomer 19, where we had many a fun dance when we were Goshen College students. I wanted to make him a memorable birthday cake, and decided on a portrait.

One baldy creating another (temporarily bald, in his case...and mine?).

It was lots of fun to find the elements that make up a face. The nose is a peach schnapps truffle, ears are candy orange slices and eyebrows are a broken candied orange peel covered with dark chocolate. Lips (below) are gummy worms.

My inestimable Aunt Chris passed through town that day, and she hand-crafted the chocolate covered pretzels for Mitch's hair.


We got gussied up, too. Caitlin came to decorate my head. In retrospect, I should have shaved it to give her a smooth canvas. But all this baldness was too new, so she put up with the stubble. No complaints, either!


The welcoming committee! A spread of Mitch's favorites: chips and salsa, cheesy party mix, and Ferrero Rocher for a dreamy finish.

It's my playlist, and I'll dance alone if I have to!

Soon others joined in. It was so fun that niece Becca could come to the dance!


It's a bird, it's a plane, it's...

Mitch and Josh's old stop-motion Super 8 movies! Larger presentation than they had ever had before, or will probably have ever again! A disappointment of the party was that Josh was in the thick of marching band season, and couldn't join us. But we saw his silly mug writ large anyhow. :)

And, what every good nostalgia party needs--a mosh pit! Good work, guys, and I hope you have recovered just fine!





Pinata filled with chocolate-covered espresso beans, peanuts, and corn nuts.

I said a few words about my wonderful spouse. I forgot to mention that he asked me to marry him in the garden area right outside this building. First time singing together at Assembly in the very room, first class together (and fib: "No, I'm not waiting for anyone.") down the hall. And lots of sweaty dancing.

The presentation of the cake.



In this ever-changing world, its good to know that we can count on some things to remain the same!

Thanks to friends young and old for coming and boogieing down with us. What joy!
No comments:
Post a Comment